Author Topic: The Pyra - an 'open source' ARM handheld computer - now in pre-order  (Read 679 times)

Offline JonnyH

• Official Developer
    • View Profile
I don't know if anyone here is interested, but I just pre-ordered the Pyra (see https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/ ) - I have the predecessor, a fancy bit of kit called the pandora, and it seems great for emulators / a mini linux PC.

I do intend to eventually support openapoc on the pyra, hence my posting here, plus drumming up support for cool things is always fun.

Note: Compared to a 'modern' phone it's somewhat overpriced and underpowered, but for devs/hackers/similar it seems pretty cool! It has a full keyboard, and runs 'full fat' linux. I've found the pandora fun for playing games/the odd bit of browsing/coding on the train, and the pyra is a clear continuation of the same.

(Note, i said 'open' - that unfortunately doesn't include many of the sw blobs, including the GPU driver, which may make it a non-starter for some... Clearly PowerVR are full of terrible people who hate freedom!)

Offline pmprog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hehe, I thought about dropping a post here about it, but seems you're ahead of me in pretty much every game going... I'll grab my coat...

Online makus

• View Profile
Re: The Pyra - an 'open source' ARM handheld computer - now in pre-order
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:07:49 am »
Why ot usual noutbook?)
Я из Украины

Offline JonnyH

• Official Developer
    • View Profile
Re: The Pyra - an 'open source' ARM handheld computer - now in pre-order
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:36:48 am »
Why ot usual noutbook?)

Mostly the size difference - It's closer to a nintendo DS xl than a notebook. It (should) also have a significantly better battery life than pretty much anything else at that price/size, 5+ hours while actually being used to play games (I hope). It also has "proper" game controls - D pad, analog sticks and shoulder buttons.

At this point it's no longer really 'cutting edge' tech, it's a couple of generations behind mobile phone SoCs, but it should have more than enough power to deal with emulators and oldschool (or even a couple-of-generations-old games) on the run, as well as games aimed at mobiles.

Plus it's a 'full' linux system, so you can still run firefox, openoffice, develop in vim or  and similar if you really want. Having a full keyboard means it's not insane, and the previous version (the pandora) actually wasn't awful to use, which is amazing considering the size. While I haven't actually held a pyra yet, I assume it'll at least be no worse.

But it's a small-run niche product. And that comes with a price premium.

hogan outlet hogan outlet hogan outlet woolrich outlet hogan outlet woolrich outlet Nike Air Max Outlet Online replica ray ban outlet moncler outlet peuterey outlet giuseppe zanotti pas cher louboutin pas cher Zanotti Pas Cher nike air max pas cher Moncler Pas Cher cheap nike air max 90 louboutin outlet cheap nfl jerseys from china cheap jordans for sale louboutin pas cher air jordan pas cher lancel pas cher ralph lauren pas cher Sac Longchamp Pas cher ralph lauren pas cher