Author Topic: AI Theory and Implementation  (Read 1870 times)

Offline adamstone333

• View Profile
AI Theory and Implementation
« on: June 08, 2015, 08:08:50 am »
Hello, My name is Jagris Singh. I have made a great deal of study in AI theory and believe I can put my knowledge to use here. I have a rough knowledge of several programming languages and some popular frameworks. I am writing a set of papers on my complete understanding of human and animal psychology and its pseudo-code implementation in video games. I think if my ideas were implemented in this project will encourage the users playing OpenApoc to face rather challenging, surprisingly human and extremely realistic AI.  A BIG CAUSE OF FAILURE in many video games, is the lack of creative, realistic, humanly competitive(not necessarily hard, but just human-like) game AI.

I have played the entire xcom trilogy (ufo defense, terror from the deep, and Apocalypse), and would like to contribute to this project's success.

Before I release my unfinished papers to this project, I need to have confirmation that these theories will not be plagiarized by third parties. So I can only send them privately to the trusted admins of this projects under pledge. I have a good deal of rough algorithms developed for implementing my ideas but I won't give them all away. However, I have a few pointers that I shall give on how the enemy AI should be implemented down below:

----------------------------------------------------

#1 They have to have some "consciousness" loops/threads which makes them and interact pro-actively/reactively with other living AI and the environment at all times. Basically, it should follow the principle of the Desire to survive and thrive

A example of good non-intelligent simple movement and interaction with environment would be a Braitenburg vehicle. The basic things is that the alien enemy if not occupied by destruction, or its goal in general, bust be occupied with something. The original Apocalypse did not implement this well. I often felt like I was playing target-practice with a bitmap using advanced algorithm for movement. This is very important for engagement in the game.

An example:
When the alien comes into sight(during real-time combat), it should disappear again if walking away from the xcom unit. It sit down next to another alien facing it, in a "talking state". When a x-com unit shoots at an alien(which is of a humanoid type such as a sectoid), it should be injured and depending on some mental variables, should either SLOWLY or STAGGERINGLY run for cover, or SLOWLY or STAGGERINGLY run away, or SLOWLY and STAGGERINGLY try one last attempt of pure badass bravery if its morale level is reasonably high enough for doing so. And if it runs for cover, it will intelligently decide it's next move based on its mind as point 2 will state.

#2 It must act similarly to a von Neuman Machine, have effective communication, and must have learning abilities. I have some good algorithms for this.

Just like the xcom units, the aliens must seek medics to repair themselves since they have "the algorithmic desire to survive". They should work out the advantage  and disadvantage of its present state and intelligently create its own advantage. And per occasion, they store the results in their memory should develop their own processes which give them advantage based on the results of the past. It should also share the learning with its fellows.

Example: If you flank an alien squad from behind and one alien notices you're sneaking up. It should alert the rest to spontaneously determine an action based on the advantage and disadvantage variables. If they're are sneaking up of you (like in a base invasion), they should determine a method of attack based of their prior experience.

This requires algorithms of creativity. Such things are very hard to implement. But I have a few ideas up my sleeve on how to get this done.

#3 Most importantly. Each individual alien object should have its own individual mental traits. And the alien AI as a group, should be an self-learning mental average of the all the aliens you have encountered.

This point explains itself.

-----------------------------------------------------

If need any help, or any questions or criticisms. Contact me or comment below. I am very dedicated to the success of this project. Happy battlescaping. ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:14:20 am by adamstone333 »

Offline pmprog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: AI Theory and Implementation
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 08:47:05 am »
Hi, and welcome to OpenApoc

Before I release my unfinished papers to this project, I need to have confirmation that these theories will not be plagiarized by third parties.
This is a little bit of an odd statement. Whilst I can understand your reasoning, this is an opensource project. Everything that is implemented is open to the world to see. Even if your papers were kept secret, all the algorithms will be publically available.
If this concerns you, then I'm sorry to say, it's probably not the place for your work.

We are a long way off requiring any sort of AI at the minute anyway, so if, by the time we're in need, you are no longer worried about plagiarism then please feel free to contribute.

One other thing I would note with regards to your suggestions - I don't remember any alien medics in Apoc, and always thought of them as expendable warriors (after all, the "master" race is actually the micronoids).

Offline adamstone333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 03:50:37 pm »
""I don't remember any alien medics in Apoc""

Yes. That's was just an example of realism to add to the game.

""Everything that is implemented is open to the world to see. Even if your papers were kept secret, all the algorithms will be publically available.""

Ok. I was just concerned over crediting (I'm an egotist and self-centered). As soon as I finish my work, I will release it. I geuss my prev. statement was an "over-worry".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:54:08 pm by adamstone333 »

Offline pmprog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:18:13 pm »
""I don't remember any alien medics in Apoc""

Yes. That's was just an example of realism to add to the game.
First step is to duplicate the original

Ok. I was just concerned over crediting (I'm an egotist and self-centered). As soon as I finish my work, I will release it. I geuss my prev. statement was an "over-worry".
Crediting is fine... We should really put together a list of contributors, as we've had a couple of translators and I've not really set up anywhere to acknowledge contributors

Offline bobucles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:18:19 am »
Vanilla AI was pretty damn stupid. Aliens seem to move as squadrons, which is just as awful on the player side. Cowardly behavior wastes 80% of time fleeing from gunfire, which isn't very effective in Apoc due to slow movement and tissue paper cover. Generally the smartest things you will see are:

- Melee units typically beeline for the target. This includes brainsuckers, poppers and hyperworms. They don't seem to coordinate in any meaningful way, but sometimes they can ambush players.
- Aliens breaking a UFO siege tend to have aggressive walking behavior, which means they walk out spraying and throwing every explosive they have
- Psionic aliens usually attack immediately. Unfortunately Psionics are pretty weak and burn out very fast in Apoc.

The rest of the time they just kind of derp around, running back and forth while you shoot them down. I'll be happy if Apoc boosts alien AI.

Offline adamstone333

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 10:51:34 am »
Vanilla AI was pretty damn stupid. Aliens seem to move as squadrons, which is just as awful on the player side. Cowardly behavior wastes 80% of time fleeing from gunfire, which isn't very effective in Apoc due to slow movement and tissue paper cover. Generally the smartest things you will see are:

- Melee units typically beeline for the target. This includes brainsuckers, poppers and hyperworms. They don't seem to coordinate in any meaningful way, but sometimes they can ambush players.
- Aliens breaking a UFO siege tend to have aggressive walking behavior, which means they walk out spraying and throwing every explosive they have
- Psionic aliens usually attack immediately. Unfortunately Psionics are pretty weak and burn out very fast in Apoc.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Frankly, the poor AI in most video games these days make me want to puke. It's a shame.

And @pmporg:
First step is to duplicate the original
Yes. Since remake projects may take a long time to duplicate, and since life is unpredictable and I thus may die during this period or something, I'll load all my papers into my dropbox and provide the link as soon as possible.

hogan outlet hogan outlet hogan outlet woolrich outlet hogan outlet woolrich outlet Nike Air Max Outlet Online replica ray ban outlet moncler outlet peuterey outlet giuseppe zanotti pas cher louboutin pas cher Zanotti Pas Cher nike air max pas cher Moncler Pas Cher cheap nike air max 90 louboutin outlet cheap nfl jerseys from china cheap jordans for sale louboutin pas cher air jordan pas cher lancel pas cher ralph lauren pas cher Sac Longchamp Pas cher ralph lauren pas cher